THE FOLLOWING LIST HIGHLIGHTS OUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO PEOPLE LIVING WITH HIV/AIDS:
- Praxis Housing Initiatives is NYC’s largest provider of transitional housing to homeless people with HIV/AIDS and is one of city’s lowest cost/highest service housing providers.
- Praxis houses nearly 400 people a night and approximately 1,200 homeless individuals with HIV/AIDS each year.
- Praxis Housing Initiatives operates four residences and provides a wide variety of permanent housing placement options through our Brooklyn-based scatter site program.
- Praxis offers clients over 25-30 workshops and support groups a week covering topics such as harm reduction, treatment adherence, coping skills, addiction counseling and recovery support.
- Since 2000, Praxis’ Housing Specialists have placed over 1,250 individuals in permanent housing – apartments, supportive housing and long-term congregate care.
- Praxis has employed many people who successfully transitioned through its program – from homelessness to home. For those individuals establishing a solid employment record was critical since many other employers reject applicants with criminal or drug histories.
- Praxis facilities have consistently been given high scores by city and state agencies that monitor services and security.
- Praxis recognizes the importance of addressing both housing and vocational needs, and equipping clients with independent living and employment skills and community linkages to address those issues.
- Praxis has instituted a Consumer Advisory Board that meets regularly to address client needs and provide input and make suggestions for improving services at Praxis.
- 100% of our transitional and scatter site residents are homeless, living with HIV/AIDS.
- 78% are male, 21% are female and 1% is transgender.
- 78% are black, 20% are Hispanic and 2% Caucasian.
- Most range in age from mid 20’s to mid 50’s. All are destitute.
- About 25% have criminal histories, 75% to 80% have drug or alcohol problems.
- 75% to 80% have indications or documented histories of mental health issues.
- 60% to 70% of our clients have not completed high school.
- Approximately 20% have high school diplomas or GED. The rest have some advanced education.
© 2017 PRAXIS Housing Initiatives NYC | | Website by HSS