ABOUT PRAXIS HOUSING INITIATIVES
Praxis Housing Initiatives is one of New York City’s largest providers of transitional housing to formerly homeless people, including those living with the most formidable barriers: HIV/AIDS, substance use disorder and/or serious mental health challenges—as well as individuals and families with children for whom the barrier to sustainable housing has been poverty, compounded by the lack of affordable housing. It is one of city’s lowest cost/highest service housing providers and the largest provider of transitional housing to people living with HIV.
A non-profit organization, Praxis Housing Initiatives both develops and operates residences—its own buildings and 232 Scatter-site apartments in Brooklyn, the Bronx and Manhattan. Praxis provides a wide variety of permanent housing placement options. Praxis houses more than 1,100 men, women and children each day and approximately 1,750 people each year, including both permanent and transitional residents. Since 2006, Praxis has placed more than 4,400 individuals in permanent housing: an independent apartment, supportive housing and long-term congregate care.
To foster a successful transition from homelessness to stable living, Praxis offers clients more than 25 workshops and support groups each week, covering such topics as harm reduction, treatment adherence, coping skills, addiction counseling and recovery support.
Walking its talk, over the years Praxis has employed many people who successfully transitioned through its program, going from homelessness to home. For these individuals establishing a solid employment record is critical because many other employers will not consider applicants with criminal or drug-use histories. Further, Praxis recognizes the importance of addressing both housing and vocational needs, and of equipping clients with independent living and employment skills and community linkages to help them succeed.
Praxis facilities have consistently been given high scores by city and state agencies that monitor services and security.
PRAXIS HIV/AIDS Program FACTS
- 100 percent of our transitional and scatter site residents are homeless and living with HIV/AIDS.
- 78 percent are male, 21 percent are female and 1 percent is transgender.
- 78 percent are black, 20 percent are Hispanic and 2 percent Caucasian.
- Most range in age from their mid-20’s to mid-50’s. All are destitute.
- About 25 percent have criminal histories; 75 percent to 80 percent have drug or alcohol problems.
- 75 percent to 80 percent have indications or documented histories of mental health issues.
- 60 percent to 70 percent of our clients have not completed high school.
- Approximately 20 percent have high school diplomas or GED. The rest have some advanced education.
The Praxis Board is diverse with much real world experience.
Guiding our organization.
View available opportunities.
Praxis Housing Initiatives is NYC’s largest provider of transitional housing to homeless people with HIV/AIDS and is one of city’s lowest cost/highest service housing providers.
Volunteers are welcomed and appreciated for your time and service.
You can conveniently make a secure online donation to Praxis through NYCharities.org, where 100% of your donation will support our organization.