The following list highlights our contributions to people living with HIV/AIDS:
- Praxis Housing Initiatives is NYC’s largest provider of transitional housing to homeless people with HIV/AIDS and is one of city’s lowest cost/highest service housing providers.
- Praxis houses nearly 400 people a night and approximately 1,200 homeless individuals with HIV/AIDS each year.
- Praxis Housing Initiatives operates four residences and provides a wide variety of permanent housing placement options through our Brooklyn-based scatter site program.
- Praxis offers clients over 25-30 workshops and support groups a week covering topics such as harm reduction, treatment adherence, coping skills, addiction counseling and recovery support.
- Since 2000, Praxis’ Housing Specialists have placed over 1,250 individuals in permanent housing – apartments, supportive housing and long-term congregate care.
- Praxis has employed many people who successfully transitioned through its program – from homelessness to home. For those individuals establishing a solid employment record was critical since many other employers reject applicants with criminal or drug histories.
- Praxis facilities have consistently been given high scores by city and state agencies that monitor services and security.
- Praxis recognizes the importance of addressing both housing and vocational needs, and equipping clients with independent living and employment skills and community linkages to address those issues.
- Praxis has instituted a Consumer Advisory Board that meets regularly to address client needs and provide input and make suggestions for improving services at Praxis.
- 100% of our scattered site and transitional residents are homeless, living with HIV/AIDS.
- 78% are male, 21% are female and 1% is transgender.
- 78% are black, 20% are Hispanic and 2% Caucasian.
- Most range in age from mid 20’s to mid 50’s. All are destitute.
- About 25% have criminal histories, 75% to 80% have drug or alcohol problems.
- 75% to 80% have indications or documented histories of mental health issues.
- 60% to 70% of our clients have not completed high school.
- Approximately 20% have high school diplomas or GED. The rest have some advanced education.
The Praxis Board is diverse with much real world experience.
Guiding our organization.
View available opportunities.
Praxis Housing Initiatives is NYC’s largest provider of transitional housing to homeless people with HIV/AIDS and is one of city’s lowest cost/highest service housing providers.
Volunteers are welcomed and appreciated for your time and service.
You can conveniently make a secure online donation to Praxis through NYCharities.org, where 100% of your donation will support our organization.