Praxis was founded in 1995; it is a safe haven for many of New York City’s most challenged and challenging homeless people. Housing and supportive services are provided in four residential buildings & 127 Scatter site apartments located throughout New York City.
What We Do
From its inception, Praxis set out to deliver unparalleled supportive services and to prove that indigent homeless people could receive both housing and expert assistance.
Over the last 18 years, with skilled staff, access to community resources, healthcare, peer support activities, and permanent housing placement, Praxis residences have been an anchor for over 20,000 homeless New Yorkers. We have proven that there is hope and that real change can happen.
Job Descriptions may change at any time. Described jobs may be altered, restructured or deleted at the discretion of management. All employment, unless otherwise noted, at Praxis is “at will.”
TITLE: Licensed Behavioral Health Specialist (LCSW)
SUPERVISOR: Director of Operations
CATEGORY: Full Time – Exempt
Requires a minimum of 5 years with experience with chronically homeless persons living with HIV+ and histories of chemical dependencies and mental illness
· Working experience with homeless persons, both individual and family units with special needs, HIV, Addiction, MICA and Domestic Violence
· Requirements, conduct pre-intake mental health evaluations and recommendations.
· Schedule follow up sessions with clients as needed.
· Document all clinical findings.
· Co-facilitate case conferences
· Crisis intervention.
· Monitor, follow up mental health treatment adherence.
· Sign off on all clinical service plan developments.
· Provide clinical supervision to case management team.
· Perform other duties as required by program requirements.
- A valid NYS License to provide behavioral health services LCSW
- CASAC a plus
- Prior experience conducting psycho-social assessments including the development of person-center service plans. Familiarity with Harm Reduction Practice.
- Prior experience working with chronic homeless persons with HIV/AIDS many of which have co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders
- Strong behavioral interviewing techniques
- Knowledge of NYS Mental Health screening tool MHSF III , preferred
- Excellent communication, listener, therapeutic skills
- Knowledge of electronic case manager systems (Foothold Awards a plus
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.