|Praxis Housing Initiatives, Inc. , 130 West 29th Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10001|
The Shelter Director provides operational, facilities, and budgetary oversight of DHS Contracted Shelters, whose purpose is to help Adult Couples. Additionally, the Shelter Director, monitors the delivery of residential, case management, and community-based services the auspices of the Clinical Director and the social services team s/he leads.
Notice: Job Descriptions may change at any time. Described jobs may be altered, restructured or deleted at the discretion of management. All employment at Praxis, unless otherwise noted, is “at will.”
- Monitor program adherence to all DHS rules and regulations for all Adult Couples and NYS OTDA Part 900 Regulations.
- Conduct and document program compliance with all applicable fire, safety and health standards.
- Recruit, hire, and train administrative staff.
- Assure unit (apartment) vacancies are kept to a minimum and filled in a timely manner.
- Assure adherence to all budgetary guidelines in collaboration with supervisor and Chief Financial Officer.
- Identify, evaluate, and establish service linkages with community based providers.
- Conduct weekly or bi-weekly supervision with all direct reports.
- Enforce DHS and Praxis rules, policies and guidelines, instructing and training staff on doing the same.
- Participate in the reporting, investigation and documenting of all significant incidents to Praxis Executive Team members and all appropriate reporting agencies i.e. DHS, NYPD, etc., as required by all applicable regulations and laws.
- Must be on call 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, to respond to all shelter emergencies and or share on call responsibilities with DSS.
- Lead all efforts towards improving service delivery and maintenance of staffing levels in a challenging budgetary environment.
- Write reports and maintain statistical data on all aspects of population served i.e. demographics, medical situations, domestic violence, ACS, SUD, Mental Health and other related social determinants.
- Prepare for audits and ensure that program remains in compliance with funders.
- Liaise with Police, Civic Leaders and local businesses (community relations).
- Create, implement, and monitor the effectiveness of advocacy strategies geared toward securing housing.
- Compile and contribute statistical data for all internal or external entities in support of mandated reporting requirements.
- Respond timely to requests for information from Praxis, DHS and or any external entity, as required.
- Participate in weekly or bi-weekly supervision and all meetings with Executive Team members.
- Lead weekly all staff meetings and monthly Community Meetings.
- Mediate conflicts between direct reports and any program staff members, or staff and resident.
- Assume all duties in the absence of DSS
- Assure that performance evaluations of direct reports are completed and reviewed annually or after the probationary period for new hires.
- Identify and enroll staff in appropriate trainings and conduct in-service training.
- Related duties as assigned.
|Master’s degree in Social Work, Public Administration, Human Services, or the equivalent: LMSW preferred.|
- 3-5 years’ experience working with homeless adults and families. Experience supervising social services/human services staff in shelter/mental health/transitional or permanent supportive housing. Experience working with Department of Homeless Services (DHS)
· Fluency in Spanish a plus.
|Skills:||Excellent management, problem solving, organizational, and counseling skills required. Ability to analyze and evaluate information and develop recommendations. Demonstrated success in planning and implementing program activities within budgetary and time constraints. Candidate must possess exceptional written and oral English communication skills; Proficiency in written and oral Spanish is preferred. Must be familiar with the DHS/HRA, CARES system. Computer skills are necessary, including familiarity with MSWord and Excel. Must be able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.|
|Salary:||$75,000 per year|
- Health Insurance, Dental and Vision
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Vacation time
- Sick Time
- 403B retirement plan
- Transit check program