Job Descriptions may change at any time. Described jobs may be altered, restructured or deleted at the discretion of management. All unemployment, unless otherwise noted, at Praxis is “at will.”
Job Title: Handyman/Maintenance Worker
Category: Non – Exempt
Reports to: Project Director
Job Summary: Typical skills required include basic carpentry electrical and plumbing skills. The maintenance duties also include ensuring that new apartments are fully furnished, window guards and combo (smoke detectors and carbon monoxide) are installed and the up keeping of the apartment is ready for the prospective client to move in.
- Assess tenant’s complaints concerning repairs in the apartment through work order
- Electrical and basic carpentry work
- Apartment plastering, painting, repair and light sheet rocking.
- Strip and wax floors; place tile linoleum; sand polyurethane wood floors
- Complete maintenance work orders at the HUD site office.
- Minor plumbing and repairing of leaks
- Minor electrical work and repairing of electrical switches
- Apartment cleaning and preparation for occupancy of new tenants
- Apartment cleaning and dispose of items and furniture when tenant vacate the premises.
- Responsible for landscaping, snow removal, painting and overall maintenance of the office facility.
- Must be able to travel to clients apartments in the Bronx.
- Assigned other duties as directed by the Program Director.
- High school diploma: GED
- New York State valid Driver’s License with no violations
- Skilled trade certification
- Experience working with formerly homeless persons.
- Bi-lingual a plus